Monday 8 March 2010

Belfast Bound


This time last week I was just arriving in Belfast. My first time in this city. From the moment I saw that Belfast nestles alongside the great River Lagan in the foothills of the rolling hills which encircle the city, Belfast and its people had welcomed me. In a new and unfamiliar city, it’s that first morning you spend watching the city waking up with its unfamiliar sights and sounds that is unique.

As I went out to get breakfast, I wanted to give something back and an old lady sitting in the wet, homeless and begging, her stillness contrasting with the hustle and bustle around her gave me an opportunity as I gave her my cup of tea. People smile, people are friendly, but they need our support. Planning has a big role to play here with regeneration schemes like Victoria Square, winner of the RTPI’s Silver Jubilee Cup at the recent national planning awards. It is clear that the planners here feel isolated. They are facing tough times as there has been much publicity about planning in the local press. Morale is low although a close knit planning community that bridges the gap between private, public and community sectors shows that planning can be all the richer for this cross sectoral cooperation and professional support. At the Branch’s Dinner in the splendid Great Hall at Queen’s University, the Minster confirmed that planning reform would go ahead. Yet he hesitated to give his support to the professionals. And yet here the planners are setting an example to us all. I can’t wait to return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home